Regular school attendance is directly related to success in academic work, benefits students socially, provides opportunities for important communications between teachers and students, and establishes regular habits of dependability. For detailed information, see the “Student Attendance Statute” MN 120A.22 Subd. 4 and 6.
- Absence because of illness, medical, dental or diagnostic testing appointments.
- The school may require an absence of three (3) consecutive school days or more due to these reasons to be documented in writing by the treating physician, dentist, other health professional.
- Absence because of death in the immediate family. Immediate family includes the grandparents of the student and the descendants of a grandparent of the student.
- Absence due to attendance or observance of religious holidays. We request written notice of absences due to religious observance in advance of the absence.
- Pre-planned college visits for students and families.
- Absences because of other circumstances as approved by Administration prior to the absence.
- 3 Unexcused Absences: Nova will send written notification (attendance alert letter) to the parent and student regarding the school attendance issue with a warning that a failure to improve will result in a referral to the School Attendance Matters program (SAM).
- 5 Unexcused Absences: Nova will send a written notification to the parent and student that a referral has been made to the School Attendance Matters program (SAM). The parent will be notified by the Ramsey County Attorney’s office of the date and time of the program meeting. The parents and/or student(s) are required to attend this meeting.
- 5-10 Unexcused Absences: A meeting with the school principal is required to complete an In-School Attendance Contract.
- 10+ Unexcused Absences: Nova will notify the parent and student that a referral has been made for a School Attendance Review Team (SART) hearing. The parent will be notified by the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office of the date and time of the hearing.
- 15+ Unexcused Absences: Students whose attendance does not improve after the SART hearing may be petitioned to Court.
* The School of Grammar counts absences by the days. – 1 day = 1 day.
* The School of Logic and Rhetoric counts absences by the period. – 7 periods = 1 day.
* Both the Upper and Lower School counts 3 unexcused tardies as 1 unexcused absence.
Please contact the appropriate school office in advance whenever you know your child will be absent; we have dial-in absence phone lines as well as an online absence form on the Nova website. If your child will be absent or tardy, you must notify the school by the start of the day on the day of the absence or tardy. Missed school work due to excused absences must be made up per the section on Make-Up Work.
Nova Classical Academy has adopted a Long-Term Leave policy (306) which allows families to request a long-term leave for students that extends beyond being absent for fifteen consecutive school days. Families must request long-term leave from Nova’s Executive Director in writing at least 30 days before the start of the long-term leave. Students may not miss more than the equivalent of one semester which is one-half of the student contact days for the school year as determined by the school calendar to be eligible for long-term leave. No more than two (2) students in each grade level nor four (4) students in each school (Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric) will be granted long-term leave in any school year. Full policy details, guidelines, and the long-term request form are located in the Board Policy section of Nova’s website.