Welcome to Nova!
Nova Classical Academy is a K–12, public charter (tuition-free) school located at 1455 Victoria Way in St. Paul. Nova offers a rigorous academic and virtue education program in the classical tradition. Our curriculum is strongly language-centered, with students receiving daily instruction in history, grammar, math, science, writing, and language. Student schedules also include regular instruction in physical education, music, and art.
Applying for 2014–15
Applying for grades K–12 is the first step in the enrollment process.*
- November 1, 2013—Applications for the 2014–15 school year will be posted in the Enrollment Materials section of Nova’s website and in the Main Office.
- January 11, 2014—School Showcase/Open House (K-5: 1-3pm; Gr 6-9: 3-5pm)
- January 31, 2014—On-time application deadline for 2014–2015.**
Applications received after the deadline will be placed at the bottom of the appropriate grade-level waiting list.
- February 2014—Grade-level lotteries for the 2014–15 school year will be held in early February. Families of applicants will receive notification in mid-February indicating their child’s place on the waiting list or that their child is being offered a spot at the school.
Enrollment Events: Beginning January 2014
School Showcase: Saturday, January 11, 2014
We will hold our School Showcase/Open House on Saturday, January 11, 2014.
- Lower School Showcase (K–5): 1-3.00pm; Presentation at 1.15pm
- Upper School Showcase (6–12): 3-5.00pm; Presentation at 3.15pm
Lower School Tours Lower School Tours (Kindergarten–grade 5) for the 2014–15 school year will be provided for parents whose children have been offered a place at Nova in Kindergarten through grade five. The tour is guided by a Nova staff member or parent and concludes with a 15-minute classroom observation during the school year.
Upper School Tours Upper School Parent Tours will be offered to parents whose children have been offered a place at Nova for grades 6–9 for the 2014–15 school year.* Parent tours are guided by a Nova staff member or parent and conclude with an optional 15-minute classroom observation during the school year.
Upper School Student Shadow Days Applicants that have been offered enrollment for sixth- through ninth-grade for the 2014–15 school year will be offered an opportunity to shadow a Nova student for a day when school is in session. Shadow Days for prospective 2014–15 Upper School students will begin in mid-January 2014.
When shadowing, students are hosted by a current Nova student for the entire school day (8.30am–3.45pm) and experience the classroom and life at Nova firsthand. Shadow Days will be offered to students entering grades 6–9.
Applying for 2013–14
- November 1, 2012—Applications for the 2013–14 school year were posted in the Enrollment Materials section of Nova’s website and in the Main Office.*
- February 22, 2013**—On-time application deadline for 2013–2014.
- March 2013—Grade-level lotteries for the 2013–14 school year were held the first week of March 2013.
- March 2013–January 24, 2014—Applications for the 2013–14 school year are still being accepted. Applications received after February 22, 2013 are considered late and are placed at the bottom of the appropriate grade-level waiting list in the order they are received.**
Please note that Nova’s waiting lists do not carry over from year to year. If your child does not receive a place at Nova for the school year to which you are applying and you remain interested in the school, you will need to submit a new application during the next on-time enrollment season to be included in the grade-level waiting list lotteries for the following school year.
*Per Nova Classical Academy’s Board of Directors, Nova will not fill places that may open in grades 10–12 for the 2013-14 or 2014–15 school years. (e.g., Nova’s 2014–15 tenth-grade class will be populated by current Nova ninth-grade students that return for high school in the fall of 2014.) Applications for grades 10–12 will be accepted and kept in Nova’s lottery database through the end of the first semester of the school year to which the student is applying in the event that the Board of Directors should reverse their decision and decide to accept new students into grades 10-12 of the high school .
**Applications are considered on-time during the “Enrollment Season” (2013–14: November 1, 2012–February 22, 2013 at 4.00pm; 2014–15: November 1, 2013–January 31, 2014 at 4.00pm;); it does not matter when in that time period the application was received. The lottery is conducted within two weeks following the on-time application deadline. Families are notified if they are offered a spot or placed on the lottery waiting list. Applications received after the on-time application deadline are placed at the end of the appropriate grade-level lottery list in the order in which they are received.
Nova Classical Academy seeks to enroll a diverse and representative student body, welcoming applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, gender, special needs, or English as a second language status.
Nova Classical Academy employs a licensed Director of Students Services and has contracted for such special education services as are determined necessary for its students.
For more details on enrollment policies and procedures, please visit the Application and Enrollment Materials page.
For directions to Nova, please click here.
If you have enrollment questions, please email Linda LaFrombois or call her at 651.209.6320, ext. 206.